February 26, 2004


Tracker  EM Thermal/Vacuum Test Readiness Review


Notes from Tom Venator:

1)     Tower will be finished tomorrow at 15:00. It will shipped attached to the test fixture. Using a new-old grid interface fixture. Using the old shipping container will a few improvements. Will try and instrument for shipping for vibration.

2)     Base Plate is done

3)     Guard Shield done

4)     Blanket frame cage to be finished tonight. Need to glue in place on the baseplate. Should be ready tomorrow morning.

5)     MLI blanket will be assembled at Alenia. Niccola says that all pieces are there. MLI was available two weeks ago.

6)     EGSE

a.      TEM is operational now and at Pisa.

b.     Heaters are available, installation of the heaters happens next week.

c.      Cables are built at Alenia.

d.     Have to wait until we install the thermocouples to see if they are working with the Alenia control system.

e.      Have separate tower power supply, for the heaters that simulate the MCMs, has been built by Bari.

7)     Cables have been tested and ready to go.

8)     TEM box kept at steady temperature due to:

a.      Keep constant performance out of TEM.

b.     Not thermal testing the TEM.

c.      TEM may not be in flight configuration ready to undergo thermal cycling.

9)     Need to verify void content in the sidewalls. This is important for the pre-test analysis.

10) Slightly different conclusion – ready to start installation on Monday. Will do a final walkthrough around the chamber before they close the door.

11) New requirement – monitor voltage on the tower.



Minutes by Tom Venator of the Weekly Tracker Meeting:


-        Discussed the measurement of the fiber volume and void content with Ben Rodini, for the tray facesheets. Ben was thinking these would be a good measure of strength and stiffness of the sidewalls. Unfortunately they are hard to measure due to thinness of these sidewalls. Ben thinks that these could be waived for the existing facesheets as long as frequency and strength are measured directly. Need to make sure we don’t delete this testing.

-        Inspection report on the tray honeycombs is not complete as most require some repair. If we ever buy another batch make sure they ship them better protected. The good news is that we have the honeycomb we need. Paperwork was shipped after the inspection. QA person took lack of rejection by Colin as acceptance. Repairs are not hard they just take time.

-        Bias circuit

§       Extra reference holes added.

§       Sandro notes that all features have been accepted.

§       Only thing missing is to send note to Cramer.

§       Jerry is checking to see if they, (Parlex), have enough material, (Kapton for the bias circuits), to make tower A from the first build. Will take three weeks if they have to order this. Jerry to provide an update this afternoon.

§       Parlex has checked

-        Static Test setup pieces are in customs. Should get them tomorrow.

§       Eric reports he still needs to complete the final edits and will send it out today. He is willing to incorporate any comments. Sandro

§       No documentation inside the boxes. Shipping list sent to Jeff Tice. He will send this list to Sandro.

-        G&A

§       Started to make the tool to assemble the boards to the trays for the board assembly test. Discovered a problem in the drawing yesterday and will need to produce a revision of the drawing for the tooling. (Was not compatible with the glue dispenser at G&A). Sandro to send this revision to Dave Rich and Martin Nordby along with the procedure next week. Eventually, the intent is to put these into LATDOCs.

§       They still need to produce the mockup and then this tooling before they can investigate the MCM manufacturability.

§       They have not yet measured the last 7 MCM boards.

-        Plyform

§       Bottom tray tooling drawing is finished and has been sent to G&A to build the tooling. G&A is checking these INFN drawings and evaluating the cost of the tool. This should be done next week. G&A is being used rather than getting Plyform to send this work out to increase quality and limit delivery time.

-        Coupon insert testing at COI. Held up by the quote from COI. Mike Menning reports that the Plyform insert tests were to be tested by COI. Inserts were shipped to Jeff Tice. Jeff Tice needs to send him the drawing and send list of samples by type for a revised quote for this testing. Jeff to go ahead and contact COI.

-        MCM pre-production.

§       Preparing to send out 10 pre-production MCM to INFN.

§       Last 10 undergoing pre-encapsulation testing and should be finished last week.

-        Production run

§       Materials to start are at Teledyne.

§       Teledyne ready to start as soon as purchase order paperwork is completed at SLAC. Hoping this only takes a day or so.

-        Cables

§       Jeff to ship two more cables to Sandro.

§       Also going to ship Sandro a label maker. Still needs labels.

§       C0 flex cable drawing out at Parlex.

§       C1 modeling is done and drawing is starting today.

§       So far all cables had design problems that would not have worked.

§       C0, C1, C4, and C5 drawing should be ready for final checking by the end of next week. The remaining 4 cables need as assessment before Martin can commit to a date.

-        Ti Parts

§       Received responses back from the two vendors. Continental wanted 16 weeks delivery time and Advanced Machine was 6 weeks. Mike asked for a time for the first two ship sets with a full inspection at the vendor with the SLAC inspector in attendance. Mike notes he added requirements for assembly and inspection. Mike and Jeff need to talk to Ron and produce a schedule. Best case is to have the order placed tomorrow and then go talk to Advanced Machine to work schedule, review drawings, and perform quality audit next week.

§       Need Sandro to complete Ti parts drawings.

§       Need to speed relief cycle on final drawings. Might be able to proceed with the drawings with red lines.

-        Jeff Tice is still working on one database for the parts and drawings. Jeff has a goal to provide a draft next week. Meeting with Martin to try and go over the database today.

-        Sandro reports it is not possible to put RTV on the heat strap joints.

-        Mike asked for dates for modified portions of the static test fixture and when the cup-cone hardware is needed for static test. Answer: need about 2 weeks to produce trays after closeouts and flexures are received. But want to start working with the hardware before the tray is coming. Would like cones 2 weeks before Ti parts. Mike is asking because he believes the cones could become the critical path.

-        Sidewalls

§       Jeff reports that thermal conductivity coupons for the sidewalls have been sent out.

§       Martin wants to make sure we get thermal sign-out or the flight drawings. Wants to make sure that the sidewall ply layup that we are planning to build matches the thermal model. Jack Goodman reports there is still a question as to the real conductivity of the sidewalls and that we are going to go ahead and run this test here and get the coupon data from Oregon. This lead to a discussion by the thermal guys about a thermal conductivity requirement for the sidewalls. Jeff Wang calculated 297 Watt/m-K for a 1.5 mm sidewall. Ben calculated 193 Watt/m-K. The 300 number used a fiber content of about 60%. Ben reports 48% to 55% is more realistic. Ben reports the problem is that there is only so much fiber going into the sidewalls. Ben can remove resin and increase fiber volume but this will not help conductivity. To really help thermal conductivity of the sidewalls will need to add layers and reduce resin content to maintain thickness. THIS IS A BRAND NEW DESIGN LIEN ON THE SIDEWALLS. We need to decide if we are going to wait until after the EM test data is reduced to make any changes to sidewall design.

·       Jeff to check with test lab to see if testing may be expedited.

·       Ben to determine the material attributes to get the K13D to 60% fiber volume. Could bleed out resin as long as we do NOT out foil on both sides of the sidewalls.

·       Ben to come back with some ideas to increase fiber volume. This will likely require further study of the bleed-out properties.

·       Need to get Plyform measured fiber volume. Sandro to check on this.

·       Jack to generate curve of temperature as a function of the thermal conductivity.

·       Jack and Tom to evaluate conservatism of this requirement and evaluate ways of attacking this problem at the thermal subsystem level.

-        Old Actions:

§       Nanda reports the sidewall need date is the end of May.

§        G&A should have the procedure to bond and encapsulate the MCMs by the end of March at the latest.

§       Sandro still to discuss at INFN who is in charge of static testing at INFN.