Minutes of the Tracker Meeting

May 20, 2004


Action Items:

1.    Riccardo: send Martin the tray thickness measurements for the adhesives

2.    Riccardo or Sandro: send Martin the dimensional inspections on the mid-tray closeout machining

3.    Sandro: update the PS-01801 document by Monday

4.    Sandro: send Martin a drawing of the G&A grounding lug and the copper material spec

5.    Jim: get a PR going for the vibration fixture

6.    Jim: find the status of the Ti washers (done)


Tray Assembly at G&A:


Sandro reported that G&A is still doing evaluation of wire bonding.  A short report from them is expected tomorrow afternoon.

Luca needs some changes made to LAT-PS-02367, which Hiro will do.  Luca is still working on the G&A electrical test document.

Luca needs a clamp-on current meter in Pisa.  Hiro has at least one already to send.


Martin is working on the top and mid-tray-with-converter assembly drawings, for mounting MCMs and ladders.  He has lots of redlines made but has a shortage of designers and will have to wait until Monday for Mike Foss to return.


Sandro reported that the core thickness in the mid-tray panel assembly drawings are not the same as the actual (28.04mm).  The actual value is correct, however.


Tray glue thickness: Riccardo is at G&A checking out the tooling for the bottom tray.  He will do the thickness crosscheck tomorrow and then sent Martin information to include in the drawings.  This concerns the bond thickness between tray, converters, and bias circuits.


Martin reminded INFN that he still need redlines for mid-tray piece-part drawings to show their as-built condition.  Sandro said that there were no redlines to the closeout drawings and that the machining was done to the print.  Martin had a hard time believing that it could be possible since the Swales drawing checkers found a lot of problems with those drawings, such as inconsistent dimensions and tolerances.  Martin decided that he will have to redline the drawings himself and in order to do that wants to receive the closeout inspection data.  INFN Pisa will send those data to him or provide a web link.


Sandro will work this over the weekend on the PS-01801 assembly procedure document, for the work at G&A.


For the TMCM pin fabrication they are waiting 1 or 2 more days for the material (6082 aluminum bars).  After that the machining will be fast and Sandro expects to have the parts by the middle of next week, including coating.  The shop is the same Plyform subcontractor who is doing the inserts. 


G&A needs Nusil adhesive.  Jeff has been working on getting them.  The CV2500 is haz-mat and therefore cannot be hand carried, so it may be another week or so getting to Pisa.


Robert reported that 15 MCMs should complete burn-in on Saturday.  They then go to a final electrical test and will be ready for shipping, except that 4 of them have an NCR against them.  Robert will work with Roger and Marcus on Saturday to do some tests on those 4 at –30C to see if there really is a problem (they had some errors in register readback at that temperature) and whether it can be resolved.  So those 4 might have to ship out later.  Tom pushed to get the 11 at least on an airplane Saturday or Sunday in the hands of a courier.


Nanda will check on whether cables are needed from SLAC for the G&A test.  Minitower cables will work, but they need to be tested to a “released” written procedure first.


Mid tray issues:


Aeroglaze tape test:  The associated NCR needs closure by MRB before trays are used with flight MCMs and ladders.

INFN received various recommendations for suitable tape.  They will try to test tomorrow at Plyform. Plyform confirmed that they are qualified to do the test. Ben wants tape with adhesion equal to or better than what they talked about yesterday (500 g/cm2).  We will need data sheets or certs for the tape to verify that spec.  Riccardo will be there at Plyform during the test.


Plyform urgently needs the Nusil CV-2646 conductive silicone adhesive for installing the grounding tubes and, on the bottom tray, the grounding wire.  It was stuck in Chicago but should be at SLAC soon.  It is not hazardous and can be hand carried.  


Bias circuits:

Parlex was set back a week or so by problems with getting good material from Dupont.  The recent batch of 47 circuits was lost in the mail, it seems, for a while, but we learned during the meeting that they were Fed-Ex’ed to SLAC and should arrive today.  Another 50 are expected at SLAC next week, and a large lot of 250 is in work for the following week.  


The tray-panel thermal-vacuum procedure was sent to Natalie to go out for release.  Monday they went to Roma II for a review, including Aldo for QA: the fixture will be modified by tomorrow and a curtain is being installed between the test setup and the door.


Aldo will also visit G&A in the same way, next Thursday or Friday.


Bottom Trays:


Riccardo is at G&A checking out the metrology on the tooling.


Insert material and machining: Sandro has material certs, and they conform to Martin’s drawing (AMS 3928 spec).  The material should be in hand by tomorrow and inserts machined next week.\


Bottom tray core trimming will be done at time of use at Plyform.  This is routine for them, so they have internal procedures.


The static test fixture grid simulator is under CMM at SLAC.  Some features don't conform to drawings because there are redlines. Mike has drawings in work for the as-built state.  They should be done with the CMM today; Mark Molini will hand carry it to Pisa.


Interface hardware: Mike called receiving yesterday and it wasn't in; Jeff said that AMT will not deliver until May 25th. Mike will call and check if there is a partial delivery. (GSFC has not started yet on their batch.)  The goal is to hand carry 17 of them to Pisa on May 30th.  The other 17 will go to Santa Clara for coating; then to San Diego for the locking feature; then back to SLAC.  Santa Clara is 1-day, but we don't know the San Diego lead time.  10 studs made on the spur of the moment to relaxed tolerances are being picked up today in Santa Clara with coating.  Some will go to San Diego, so we will know the turn-around soon.


Top/bottom tray assembly procedure: tomorrow another draft should go out for review.


Top/bottom tray assembly drawings were sent out a few days ago by Martin for review.  Sandro said that the only comment from INFN is glue thicknesses.  However, the drawing needs to conform to the inspections to be done at Plyform. Sandro will verify that Riccardo has reviewed the drawings.  The top tray assembly drawings will go out for release.  The bottom tray assembly drawings are still on hold for some details such as lugs.


Martin was concerned that he had been told that crimping is a better solution for the grounding lug than soldering.  However, Jerry said that solder is fine for such a small wire.  Martin will follow up with Nick whether the G&A lug solution is acceptable.  Jerry will help out.  Martin needs a drawing from Sandro.  He also needs the copper spec.


EM vibe test status & schedule:


Vibration fixture machining: the drawing is signed off and will be released today with Jerry’s comments incorporated.  Jeff wants to go to dual sources: Tapemation and 1 other.  Jim will work on getting the PR started today.


Nuts: Jeff placed an order for 30 nitronix nuts with 2 weeks lead time.


Procedures: John hopes to send out the static test pretest analysis today.  H thinks we can finish all cases in 2 days during the actual test.  His schedule: dynamic test pretest analysis by May 26; TRR on June 2.  There will be no force limiting, so he can update the previous procedure with few changes.  He may want to reorder the tests.  Also the depth of the notch is being re-evaluated.


Peter is working on cone extraction tools.  It takes 300 lbs to press the cones out of the flexure.  A machinist is making a tool by Monday or Tuesday.  Also spanner wrenches are on the way by Monday.


Mike says that for cone installation we will have a detailed procedure to start with, which will be released after static and vibe tests.  Can we use GSFC cones for the alignment simulator?  If not, then we may have to re-use the static test cones for that.


Mike said that there is no coating planned for cone surfaces.  Molydisulfide lubricant did not change the removal force much.

Arthur has a concept for locating the start position for the 9 cones installed following the 3 alignment joints.  It has not been tried yet.



Prepreg delivery: it should have been shipped yesterday; Riccardo will get status tomorrow

      Release of the specification document: new draft will be ready Monday

      Titanium washers: Jim will find the status


Facesheet coupons will be in the mail to Ben tomorrow.