May 14, 2004
- Testing is in progress on evaluation hardware by pull testing.
- 34 cone-stud hardware sets are scheduled to arrive next week.
- Design work is in progress on tools for cone extraction, adjustment,
Bottom/Top Tray Panels
- The design details are completed and signed off.
- Insert machining started this week but was then halted when it was
discovered that the vendor shipped the wrong alloy. A decision was
made to use titanium. Inserts will be ready May 28.
- Machining of the assembly tooling is still in progress but should be
done next week.
- Closeouts and titanium parts are in Italy.
- Aluminum core for the bottom tray is on order, but existing cores can
be readily cut to size for the first towers.
Mid Tray Panels
- 15 (9 light, 6 heavy) produced through ESPI and GND testing.
- These were dimensionally checked and 2 rejected.
- 4 were completed through bias circuit bonding and passed vibration
testing at Centrotecnica.
- Less than 1000 of the full order of 11,400 SSDs remain to be tested.
- 1055 ladders assembled, with 16 rejected.
- Total of 21 received, including 12 this week.
- 11 more have been shipped from Teledyne, and 7 should ship today,
giving a total sufficient for Tower A.
- 6 completed thermal cycles and burn-in and passed final test, but
were locked up by QA for procedural nonconformance.
- The burn-in system with EM-2 TEM/PS was acceptance tested according
a newly released procedure this week.
- 12 completed thermal cycles and are starting burn-in.
- G&A is completing tests of the new tooling and procedures for MCM
- MCM mounting pin design was completed and is out for release. These
objects need to be machined and plated before tray assembly can
- Work is in progress on updating the relevant assembly drawings.
- The procedure document is out for review.
- Prepreg for the first couple of towers should be delivered next week.
- The fabrication specification document is out for release.
- Drawings have been released.
- Titanium washers are being procured.
- The designs are complete and reviewed and final redlines are being
- A final check of mechanical vs electrical designs will be done and
the drawings sent out for release next week.
Tower Assembly and Alignment
- A conceptual design was completed for an aluminum part to go on
the top of the tower to fasten the cable ends and also support
the alignment retroreflectors.
- We determined that the tower mockup being assembled by AI&T can
and will be used to debug and prove the alignment software and
- The lifting fixture design is still in progress but converging.
- The vibration fixture drawing is out for release.
- The cable restraining plate is under design.
- Cable bending tools are being designed.